Two summits of Bern
As a EuroGames first, we are proud to offer Timed Hiking in our official sports programme. The objective is to complete a hike within a given time frame. You will be competing against yourself only, there will be no ranking. Everyone completing both hikes without going over the maximum allotted time will receive the finisher medal «Two summits of Bern».
You can take part in one or both hikes. Both hikes are guided. There will be a transit check at each summit which you will need to pass. You will be hiking on marked trails only and will receive a map to help guide you.
It is your responsibility to bring your own water (mandatory!) as there will be no food and drinks available on the hike. Please wear sturdy shoes and weather appropriate clothing. We advise you to bring a small backpack for rain protection and sun screen.
Hike 1: Bantiger
Start in Bolligen and hike via Flugbrunnen and Bantigen to the summit of the Bantiger and back via Bantigen to Stettlen.
- Total distance: 8,6 km
- Altitude (ascending and descending): 450 metres
- Target hiking time: 4,5 hours
Hike 2: Gurten
Start and finish at the tram station Gurtenbahn.
- Total distance: 6 km
- Altitude (ascending and descending): 325 metres
- Target hiking time: 2,5 hours
Hike 1: Thursday, July 27, 2023,
9:00 – 13:30
Hike 2: Saturday, July 29, 2023
09:00 – 11:30
Complete the hiking within the time frame (no ranking)
Registration for EGLSF members: €80
Registration for non EGLSF members: €100
Timed Hiking sports fee: €10 per hike
Registering for EuroGames 2023
Registration is open to everyone above the age of 18 regardless of skill level, sexual orientation, gender identity and nationality. A registration fee is required for all athletes.
What you can expect from participating in EuroGames 2023:
- You will receive a complimentary functional shirt (please indicate your size when registering) from our sports partners Craft and Ochsner Sport
- You will take part in a professionally organised tournament
- You have the chance to win a medal in your sport
- You will have access to discounts for selected events and parties
- You can participate in the Opening Ceremony
- You can participate in the Closing Ceremony Ceremony
- You will have access to the EuroGames Village in the Old Town of Bern
- You can experience BernPride on Saturday, July 29, 2023
- You can attend several side events and cultural programs
All registered participants will receive our official athlete’s shirt.
Your location for Timed Hiking
Meeting point Hike 1
Train station Bolligen
Meeting point Hike 2
Tram station «Gurtenbahn»
3084 Wabern bei Köniz
Food & Beverage
There will be no food or drinks available during the hikes. Please consider that it may be a hot day and bring enough water.
Good to know
The Bantiger (second image) and Gurten (third image) are considered mountains, but they are not comparable to the rocky summits in the high mountain region. Both the Bantiger and the Gurten offer well-developped hiking trails and are suitable for beginners. Rain or shine, please wear sturdy shoes and clothing suited to the weather.
How to get there
From Bern main station take train S7 to «Worb Dorf» and get off at «Bolligen». The trip is covered by the BernTicket.
Take tram 9 «Wabern» to «Gurtenbahn». Travel time from Bern main station is 12 minutes.
If staying at a hotel or registered Airbnb, you will receive a Bern Ticket for free access to public transport to all sports locations.